An Editorial Worth Pondering

I'm a little slow on the uptake with this since photos of the September Harper's Bazaar editorial with Tyra Banks have been circulating online for a week now. I couldn't resist offering my two cents worth though.

There is something very unsettling about Tyra's editorial. It looks too posed, too idealistic, too much like a false veneer. I thought the American dream died a long time ago. Can we wake up now? It's creepy. They're attempting to create iconic images about people who still have yet to deliver. Let the icon instead be created through the actions of the person in question. Stop grasping for another mask to hide behind. Please leave politics out of celebrity culture unless you're prepared to back up the blatant idolatry with an honest discussion!

I hope I haven't offended anyone. I went through the last paragraph many times in fear of being misunderstood. I am not criticizing Mr. Obama here. I'm criticizing the media's sly way of permeating the collective consciousness of the American people with images that clearly have a political agenda, even though it isn't made explicit.

I guess my point is that I don't think one man, even if he may be the president, can affect the change necessary to heal the country. There is no instant panacea.




The rest can be found at tfs.com

subscribe

Subscribe

Monitor continues to update the latest from This blog directly in your email!

oketrik

0 comments to An Editorial Worth Pondering :

Post a Comment